Monday, June 8, 2009

Black tailed deer & poison oak

As I am sitting behind my laptop after my morning hike I am watching the dogs sleep peacefully in the play area. I just had lunch and I’m catching up on work. I should be focusing on admin but with just 15 minutes left before I leave for my drop off round I have decided to relax and update my blog.

Earlier I had watched black tailed deer eat fresh poison oak. Just last year we took out a few poison oak plants growing on the unused part of our property. The poison oak is happily growing and the deer just love it. Most humans unknowingly come in contact with this toxic plant and it can cause some serious allergic reaction. One of my friends had it so bad she was hospitalized for a few days and she literally scratched the tainted skin area open.

The buck and doe that were eating the poison oak underneath our beautiful buck eye were totally undisturbed when we walked up the driveway with a whole pack of dogs. The taste of poison oak delighting their taste buds! You could just see it.